There are approximtely 40 million Americans who are affected by the Herpes Virus. There are many alternative treatments for Herpes. There are two common types of Herpes, Herpes-1 (cold sores) and Herpes-2 (genital herpes).
A new compound introduced to the market by a company called, Flor Nutraceuticals is called "Herpaflor". This compound was introduced in 2007 after the company conducted successful trials in Dallas, Texas. This new product and the research behind it was led by a molecular biologist, R. M. Lavinsky. The company combined 17 natural products into a liquid topical formula to suppress genital herpes or cold sore outbreaks, both caused by the herpes virus. Herpaflor creates a hostile environment for the herpes virus, which resides in the nerve ganglia. Since the environment on the skin is hostile for the virus, it cannot establish itself on the skin, or create a herpes outbreak. Herpaflor was chosen as the Best New Product for 2008 by the Society for Alternative Medicine.
Some of the naturally occuring substances in Herpaflor include:
1) Licorice Root which has a substance called Glycyrrhiza glabra. Glycyrrhiza has antiviral activity against herpes simplex and is capable of irreversibly inactivating the virus.
2) L-Lysine, a supplement which may decrease healing time for cold sores and prevent future outbreaks. The dose is given at 1gm/day.
3) Prunella vulgaris, a naturally occurring herb by the same name which is a plant extract and may prevent viral growth of both the HSV viral strains in the body.
4) Lemon Balm which is sold extensively in Europe for the treatment of genital herpes and cold sores.
6) Optunia streptacantha, an extract from a cactus plant
Other Herbal supplements include the following, which must be monitored by your doctor or your herbologist.
2) Aloe vera
4) Tea Tree Oil
Some home remedies to try include lowering your levels of stress. Although this has never been proven, lowering stress levels may decrease outbreaks of the Herpes Virus.
Other scientists have shown that coffee, containing caffeine has some anti-viral properties, except for those infected by HSV-1, which are cold sores.
L-lysine which was one of the components in Herpaflor, mentioned above is contained in certain foods such as beans, beef, fish, fruits, vegetables, and dairy products. The theory is to increase L-lysine levels and decrease Arginine levels, which may prevent breakouts of the Herpes -1 or Herpes-2 Virus.
Once you do get an outbreak, some tips to follow include
1) Drinking large amounts of water and to keep well-hydrated.
2) Keep Lesions clean and dry at all times. Corn starch sprinkled in your undergarments may help with keeping the area dry; as well as wearing cotton and loose-fitting clothing
3) Avoid sexual contact from the onset of the herpes outbreak until the lesions have all cleared out; Avoid touching the sores as well
For pain relief
1) NSAID (Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory) medication, such as Ibuprofen
2) Take a warm bath to relax the area.
3) Apply non-herbal cool tea bags to the area
These are some of the more common alternative treatments for a Herpes Outbreak. Herpaflor is a new product on the market which may help to curtail the outbreaks, however it is not a cure for the herpes virus. Once you do have the virus, it is important to make sure that your intake of any or all of the above supplements be monitored by a doctor or a herbologist at all times.