Search This Blog

12/2/15

Gratitude for the Day: December 2nd, 2015

"Live, Laugh, Love"


Today, I found out a patient of mine died.  

I was on my way to do a house visit, and her daugher answered the phone.  At first, I thought it was my patient and I said, "Hi!  It's Dr. Joag.  I'm on my way to your home."
Her daughter explained who she was, and quietly and very slowly told me that her mother had passed away last week, right before Thanksgiving.  


"Are you sure?" I asked.  I didn't want it to be true.  


"Do I have the right phone number?  You're her daughter?  How is this possible?  I just spoke to her yesterday.", I sputtered.  


Her daughter went on to give me more details, but I had mentally checked out.  I didn't hear a word she said to me.  I was barely trying to register that she died... that's she's dead.  


The past 3 months have been tough for all of us at the office.  We've lost six patients in the past 3 months, and it doesn't get any easier.  It's always shocking, and I never fail to break down into tears.
Some have lived long lives, into their 90's and others are barely 60.  


Each time I am face to face with the death of a close patient, it reminds me to just be in the here and now.  

"Live for today!", I tell myself.  

"Make the most out of every day that you have here in this life time.  You never know what the next day, next hour, or next minute may bring.  LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE", I keep saying those three words, like my mantra.  

JUST BE.  Enjoy each and every day, as a precious gift, and RELISH IT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment