Search This Blog

1/17/24

MINDFULNESS REFLECTIONS: The Power of PAUSE

I was recently at a Caregiver Conference through Oaks Integrated Care, the internship that I am currently working at. Surprisingly there was a Meditation that was done during the conference for the attendees. 

The meditation leader called it “Pause Meditation”. 

She said that we could do this meditation anywhere we wanted to, in order to give pause to ourselves and have a moment of mindfulness.
I enjoyed her tone, and the simplicity of the meditation. I took notes right afterward. I feel like I can use this with my clients, especially over the phone or virtually. Since I am just starting to meditate, and make place for mindfulness in my life, I feel that simplicity is best. Less is more.

PAUSE MEDITATION:
Close your eyes.
Become aware of your breath. How you breathe in and out.
You might notice that thoughts come into your mind. That’s okay.
Bring yourself back to your breath.
Now bring your awareness to your body.
Be aware of your feet. Your legs, your arms, your shoulders, your neck.
Be aware of the parts of your body that are tight or stiff.
Sit up straight on a chair.
Place one hand on your chest and one hand on your belly.
When you breathe in, your belly should go up and fill up with air.
Try and slow down your breath.
Don’t force it. Let your breath flow naturally.
Breathe in and breathe out slowly.
You can count to yourself as you breathe in, 1, 2, 3 and count to yourself as you breathe out, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
Your exhale should be longer than your inhale.
Counting fills up your mind. Keep breathing.
Let your breath flow. Let every inhale flow into your exhale, and every exhale flow into your inhale.
Let your breath be smooth.
Take three more breaths and come back to the room.
Check in with yourself as you wrap up your breathing practice.
Remember, Breathing is like your seatbelt in life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment